Monday, March 2, 2009

28.02.2009 - Saturday

Inside the COLOSSEO!! :)
Colosseo!!
Forums!
Ancient Roma!! Sitting on the capital of a column!!

Today I woke up at 6:30am and Ry called soon after my alarms went off!! :) After Ry and I hung up, I had a bowl of Golden Puffs along with a banana with PB on it and then I got ready. At 8am, Cass and I ran to the ATM near the dorms in hopes to take out more money and leave some in our rooms. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case and we both thought that we changed our minimums on our cards…hmm?? I am going to have to look into that!! After getting some money out, we went back to the dorms to grab our stuff, I only brought my cameras and some money, no need for a purse. I am pretty much a pro-traveler now!! Haha!! The train took off at 8:58am at Porta Romana, further train station from us, and we got to Roma around 10:45am. First stop for us…The COLOSSEO!! We stood in line to wait to get inside and once we were in I stood in ‘awe’ for a few minutes taking it all in!! :) It was really amazing!! There are 2 floors and unfortunately you cannot go onto the ground floor. I got some good pictures, but you cant tell by pictures the size and true beauty of the materials. I LOVED it in there!! After walking around for some time, we exited and there was a stand right outside where we both grabbed a snack to hold us over before lunch – we were determined today to find the Hard Rock Café since we couldn’t find it yesterday!! :) After our snack, which we ate on the grass, looking at the Colosseo, we went over to the Forums. Our ticket that we bought to tour the Colosseo, got us into the Forums. It was really cool in there, everywhere you looked, you would see random pieces of columns or crown molding all by itself in the middle of no where. The first large area we saw, it was used just like the Colosseo, for sports and entertainment. Then as you continue on, you run into Ancient Roma and everything there has not been renovated or touched, so if the top of a column fell off, let’s say, it hasn’t been moved from that spot!! It was pretty cool seeing Ancient Roma, walking around on the ‘streets’ which you can’t really make out, but they were once streets. It stands today as it did back in the day which is awesome! We spent quite a bit of time in there, there is a lot to see!! After the Forums, we got on the metro and ended up at the Spanish Steps. We heard that the Hard Rock was in that area, so we walked a bit and then asked someone and he pointed us in the right direction. For a minute, we thought we were lost, and then we turned the corner, and there is was!! :) We were SO excited, because we knew they would have ‘American’ food!! Ha!! I ordered the ‘Haystack Salad’ or something like that, which has lettuce, tortilla strips, grilled chicken and RANCH!!! :) We were both in heaven!! On top of ordering a salad with ranch, we ordered ICED TEA…as weird as that sounds, it’s not an option here in Italia!! Crazee, huh?? After lunch, I went to their souvenir shop and bought a patch which says ‘Hard Rock Café Rome’ since I am collecting patches. On our way back to the metro, I bought a lighter at this stand near the Steps and then Cass and I got on the metro to this one stop where we would catch our train at. Our train left at 5:06pm for Viterbo. I was in my room by 6:50pm and then at 7:45pm, Bethany and I left the dorms to go over Amy/Crystals apt and meet up with Cassie and the others for dinner. Tonight was ‘Mexican Food Night’ :) It was really good, we made soft tacos and homemade guacamole!! Yummy!! Before we knew it, it was 11:30pm, so Cass and I left and got home at 11:45pm. Once I got home, Ryan called me at 12am, and I didn’t know he was going to call me, what a pleasant surprise…aww…that reminds me of Nanny and Poppo, how they say that to me!! :) Love and miss you both, NAN – I CANNOT wait to see you in APRIL!!! HOW EXCITING!!!!!!! :) You will be missed Poppo, see you in May!! :) Ry and I talked for about 30 minutes, I told him all about my day and all the exciting things I saw and he told me about his morning, so crazee how that is…when we go to hang up, he says ‘goodnight’ and I say ‘have a nice day’ haha, 8 hours makes a big difference!! Well everyone, I LOVE and MISS each and everyone of you!! Hope you had a GREAT weekend, I know I did!!

CIAO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment