Wednesday, March 11, 2009

11.03.2009 - Wednesday

Entry doors to Castello Odescalchi, Bracciano Italia
The view from the top of the castle!! :)
Align CenterDown by "Il Lago"
Castle - view from the lake
Energy saving bulbs in Italia!! Ha
Ha, tight squeeze!!
Pretty flowers!!

This morning I got out of bed around 9:30am because at 10:30am, Cassie, Bethany and I left to go to Bracciano which is only like 40 minutes away from Viterbo by train. Today we didn’t have any classes, so we decided to take a day trip to go visit a castle. Rumor out is that the castle we visited today is the one that Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes got married in? Crazee. For bfast I had a bowl of Golden Puffs and a banana with PB on it. Once we got to the train station, we waited for a few minutes and then boarded the train. Before I knew it, we were in Bracciano, it felt like such a fast train ride, but it took about 40 minutes to get there. Once we got off the train, we followed the signs to “Castello Odescalchi” and it was only like a 5 minute walk from the train station!! It’s a small town, but the streets were hopping when we first got there!! As we approached the castle, we saw the entry so we went over and bought our ticket. Our guide only spoke in Italiano as she took us through the castle, I was able to pick up on some of the words, but she was speaking really fast, so it was hard for me to put the sentences together. The inside was really cool, we were not able to take any photos though, bummer!! :( If I understood correctly, the flooring is the same since when it was built and all the original furniture “mobili” is still inside. We were able to see the kitchen as well, it was interesting. It was disconnected from the rooms, in its own little building, but when you walk in, there were all these heads of deer, hogs, etc. up on the wall and then off to the right was a huge ‘fire pit’ and on the left were the sinks which were just made out of concrete. After touring the castle, we walked down to “Il Lago” (the lake). The walk to get to il lago was really nice, it was a gorgeous day out, I wore flip flops!! Once we got to il lago, the view was splendid, it was so refreshing to sit on a bench near by and listen to the small waves crash into the shore!! As we were sitting there, swans and ducks swam by!! They were cute. I guess the water at this lake has chemicals in it and it is not good to touch? Ha, so we didn’t put our feet in or anything. We hung out at the lake for some time and then we hiked back up the hill (literally)!! This hill was soo steep to walk down, but walking up is always worse. Once my legs get going, I can’t stop them, so I hiked up it pretty fast, it was a workout, let me tell you!! Since it was ‘pausa pronza’ – that is like ‘siesta’ but since siesta is not an Italiano word, they say ‘pausa pronza’ which is basically their lunch break, we decided to go back home and grab some food back at the dorms. Literally everything closes down at pausa pronza, it happens in Viterbo as well, drives me crazee because most shops close from like 12-4pm and re-open from 4-8pm. Ridiculous!! Ha. Once I got back to the dorms (it was around 4pm) I made myself a salami sandwich and then I took a siesta!! Ha. Just thought I would say it. Right when I crawled in bed to take my nap, Ryan called me, he was on his way to work!! :) He is so cutesy!! We talked for like 15 minutes and then went to bed. After my nap, it was time for dinner. Cassie, Bethany, Chris and I went down to the dungeon where we made hamburgers. They weren’t too bad, they just took awhile to cook up on the lovely hot plates. After dinner, I came back to my dorm and decided to update my blog for you all and I am thinking I am going to get ready for bed and watch a movie!! I really enjoyed today, nice little get away!! :)

Hope you all are having a wonderful day!!

LOVE and MISS you ALL!!

CIAO!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment