Monday, May 4, 2009

28-29.04.2009

Tuesday:

Happy Birthday Nanny!! :) I hope you had a GREAT day, you deserve it!! :) Sorry I was unable to email you, internet was down all day!! :( Ry told me he called you though, for the both of us, what a sweetie!! :)

Wednesday:

Torta Pasqualina
Colombo cake ('shaped like a dove')

Cuisine night!! Yummy...tonight we pretended it was Easter even though it was a few weeks ago. Our cuisine class got canceled on April 1st because Christina was sick and since it was before Easter, we were going to be making the traditional dishes for that holiday. First we started to make Torta Pasqualina which is made up of many paper-thin layers of dough with ricotta and spinach as the main bulk. Before adding a few layers on top of the ricotta and spinach, you create indents with your spoon and then crack an egg in each indentation - very interesting. After we put that in the oven, we went to the table and ate salami with sweet bread. The salami still had the skin on it, so we had to peel it off - I was thinking of you Poppo when we were eating it because you would have liked it...but they were cut too thick...if I were the cutter, they would have been thin and tasty!! :) After that, we went back in the kitchen and made a walnut pasta - it was super easy to make and really tasty. More pasta to come...homemade pesto was next (Jimmy, you would've loved this one!!). I would've enjoyed it more if cooked potatoes and green beans weren't with the pasta, but that's ok, the pesto was amazing!! Next food was cheese, and we had a TON of them!! I didn't try them all because a few of them were bleu cheese, which I am not a fan of and they were really creamy!! :/ I really enjoyed one of them which I spread over a saltine and it was delish!! With the cheeses, we ate the Torta P - which I didn't like. Ha, too much spinach for my liking...the egg was the best part about it and it wasn't that good, just a weird combo to me. If all that food wasn't enough...we still had a sweet to come. We ended up having a Colomba cake and Colombus got his name from the word colomba meaning dove. It was 'shaped' like a dove and was very light cake with chocolate chips in it and on top had almonds, I enjoyed it, even though I was beyond stuffed!! We had a vino with this dessert and it was my favorite of the night (we had 3 in total) it was called Asti and it was a sparkling bianco vino - very yummy...and she said it was cheap...score!! :)
I know I am going to miss my cuisine class, but it's great because I now have all the recipes to make all these wonderful dishes (Sorry, but I won't be making all of these dishes for all of you, you can ask me for the recipes though!! Ha!)!!
Love and miss you all!!
Talk soon!!
CIAO!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment